Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An Award, how nice

Awards can be great. It boosts your confidence, gives you some bragging rights, and reinforces the fact that you truly are the best. But what about when your award comes at the cost of others. By cost, I mean real money, thousands of dollars. Please note that the statements I will make in this post are not blanket statements, but a general observation.

How many of the awards that an ad agency has won, has been for an ad or campaign that really delievered results? Sure, they look good and sound good and are pretty darn creative. On the flipside, your client hires you and pays you good money to create and execute campaigns that will make them money. Most of the pieces that win awards (again, not a blanket statement, there are exceptions to this) could not possibly deliver results for the client.

My agency has never submitted a piece for an ADDY, and we never will. I have always said that the day that my agency wins an award is the day that we will shut our doors because we have lost focus on our real goal. Instead of awards, I prefer to get rewards. Rewarding feedback from my clients that call with an excited piece of news... "we beat our goal for this month", "we just had our best quarter ever", "i can't believe how busy we are!" Our ads walk the fine line of being creative and accomploshing the goals of our clients.

A happy long-term client that grows because of our work is worth more than all of the ADDY's in the world to me.

No comments: